Friday, August 31, 2012

Phoenix Zoo

Last weekend we decided to head to the zoo as a family before John started school and before studying starts taking over weekends (or his weekends at least).  Once again, we were the dumb new people that decided to go at 11 o'clock in the morning (the zoo only stays open until 2 pm this time of year because it's just too hot).  We were the ONLY people there...well just about.  It was nice to basically have the whole zoo to ourselves.  But when it was time to go we were all dripping sweat and so exhausted from the heat.

We decided to buy a membership.  It would have been $40 to get John and I in that day, for the whole 2 hours that we were there.  And a year membership for both of us was $85...so well worth it.  Plus I want to take the kids a lot more when it starts to cool off (they are both free).

Brooklyn loved the zoo...loved it.  We hadn't been able to go in Utah, so this was her first time.  It was cute to see her point to all the animals and make their sounds.


She was fascinated by the elephant - we watched it for 20 minutes before we could convince her that there were more animals in the zoo.






We did eventually find where the other 10 people in the zoo were - at the splash pad they have.  It was a nice break from the heat and felt so good to cool off in the water.









I really wanted Brooklyn to ride the merry-go-round because I thought she'd really like it....not so much.  Well she actually did like it by the end.  But I was that mom who made her crying child go on it :)  She thought the animals were real and kept growling at the tiger (shown in the above picture).  She had a death grip on me when I put her on the cheetah, but once we started going around she actually really liked it and cried again when we had to get off.   





  It was a fun family day (well 2 hours) at the zoo!

5 comments:

  1. LOL Beck you crack me up. I loved reading this post. The AZ zoo is fun - we went to it in November last year and it was hot even then. I love that she was fascinated by the elephants - those are one of my favorites as well. She is getting so grown up. Love her watermelon shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cute that she watched the elephants for so long-I love them too. That is funny that she was scared of the merry go round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO FUN! And, good idea to get a season pass:) Guess you'll have to get used to the heat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you guys are so ambitious that you pack up and head out in that heat! I'm lucky to stay dressed for an entire day in heat like that! Ha! I was laughing out loud picturing you guys on the merry go round with Brooklyn crying, then happy, then crying. Such a funny girl!! We miss you guys!! I'm glad your having fun though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You survived haha! That is too funny that you guys were just about the only ones there, except for the few people at the splash pad. Haha! I'm sad we didn't get to go to the salt lake zoo before you left! :( maybe when you come in town next? Glad you have a cool zoo close to you now though and that Brooklyn liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete