Monday, March 28, 2016

Kate's birth story

-- For My Record --

The night of February 25th, I almost went in to the hospital.  I started having contractions, but they weren't consistent and very close together.  This is how my labor started with Remmy, so I thought it might be the same thing again.  I decided to try going to bed and if I couldn't sleep then maybe we would go in.  I fell asleep though and didn't wake up until morning.

I had plans with friends Janet and Alison to meet at the train park in Scottsdale that morning (February 26th).  My mom, the kids, and I met them around 10 and had fun riding the carousel and train and playing at the park.  I was having more consistent and painful contractions by this point, but nothing too close together.  We got home and fed the kids lunch and put Remmy down for a nap.  John called me and asked if he should come home from work (meaning he wanted a reason to have to leave :))  I told him no, not yet.  I started working, but the contractions were getting a little stronger, not closer together yet, but just annoying me.  I called John back and told him to come home.

He got home around 1:30 and we headed to the hospital around 2.  I checked in and they sent us to the waiting room because triage was full.  My doctor happened to be on call that weekend (thankfully) and he saw us in the waiting room and came in to talk to us.  A room finally opened up in triage after an hour of waiting.  They checked me and I was a 3.  The nurse said in order to admit me I had to be dilated to a 5 or to progress.  So if I could get to a 4, they would keep me.  John and I walked the halls for an hour, hoping to make progress.  I saw my doctor again in the hall while we were walking (Dr. Bass) and he took me aside and reassured me he talked to the nurse and they would keep me.  But that I had to quit laughing and smiling and act more like I was in pain :)  I went back to be checked again and the nurse made sure I was a 4.  They admitted me around 5:30.  Once I got in to a labor and delivery room, I was having hard/strong contractions that were coming just a few minutes apart.  I immediately asked for the epidural but they had to get labs done before the anesthesiologist could come in.  I don't remember being in as much pain with any of my other kids, but I was hurting.  A few times I was even vocal and said John's name while I arched my back in pain.  Finally, I got the epidural and soaked up the time before Kate was born and I wasn't in pain.  They broke my water soon after I got the epidural.  The doctor that broke my water commented how high the baby still was.  I asked if I could sit up and hopefully have gravity help bring her down.  My mom had come to the hospital at this point and John went home to put the kids to bed (my friend Alison was with the kids at home).  The nurse checked me 30 minutes after my water had been broken and said to call the doctor, I was a 10!  I couldn't believe it!  I went from a 4 to a 10 in half hour.  I told my mom to quickly call John and have him get here (luckily we live 2 minutes from the hospital).  The nurse suggested I do a practice push while we waited...I started the practice push and she said never mind.  You don't need any practice.  I could feel pain down there on my left side and told the nurse so she suggested turning to the other side.  When I did that though the baby's heart rate immediately dropped so they had me turn back and put oxygen on me. John and Dr. Bass got there and I was ready to push.  Two contractions later and Kate was born at 9:17pm!  

happy, relieved, and pain free after the epidural

oxygen on, texting a few people letting them know she was coming soon!

and here we go..

She's here! (sorry for the leg shot)

Kate was so purple when she came out and they put her on me.  Dr. Bass and the nurse didn't seem one bit concerned, so it didn't worry me too much.  I just kept expecting them to take her and help her get some oxygen, but they didn't for what felt like awhile.  I kept rubbing her, trying to get her to cry.

8 lbs 9 ounces       19 3/4 inches

tired and so happy

I'm thankful Kate has been a nursing champ from the beginning.


  1. You are a pioneer, champ! Loved reading her story and dramatics. Crazy John went home and was close to missing it! Big, healthy baby!

  2. Wahoo!! You are a pro Beck. Glad he got back in time - that is stressful how fast you moved to a 10... I bet John was speeding to get back. Loved reading her story.

  3. So fun to read your story. I loved it. I have never seen anyone look so dang good before, during and after having a baby at the hospital. You are amazing! So glad she is here.

  4. So fun to read your story. I loved it. I have never seen anyone look so dang good before, during and after having a baby at the hospital. You are amazing! So glad she is here.

  5. I love reading your birth stories and I've been waiting for you to post Kates!! You are such a strong loving mom. Congratulations! You have such a beautiful family!

  6. I loved reading this! Super mom right here! You are amazing and Kate is so blessed to have you as her mom. I just love her so much! What a beautiful baby, with a beautiful name, born to a beautiful mom!