Monday, September 3, 2012

my first car accident

I had never been in a car accident before..not even a fender bender.  Last week one morning was my first... 

So here's the story:  I run with some friends early in the morning a few days a week and was taking one of them back to her car.  I had stopped in the parking lot to let her out and we were finishing our conversation.  All of the sudden she started yelling "van....VAN" and then honked my horn.  Just as I turned my head to see a car hit us.  It hit me on my side, the driver's side, between the gas pump and back tail light.  We all got out to see the damage = none to her car, some scratches and a 1-inch or so dent in mine.  It was pretty awkward when we got out and I finally said, "I've never done this before, but I think we exchange numbers and car insurance information."  She then told me that we didn't need to, that we just both call our insurance company, tell them two cars hit each other in a parking lot, no one was at fault, and that's it.  In my head I thought.....ummm.......what???  

I gave my friend a weird look and then as nicely as I could told her that it actually was her fault.  She couldn't believe why I would think that.  I tried to explain that I was stopped and she hit me.  Her response was that the sun was in her eyes and she didn't see me.  Well right I thought..I never thought she did it on purpose, but it was still her fault.  So anyway, after a few more minutes of me trying to explain to her why I thought it was her fault, she gave me her name and car insurance information.  I took pictures of the damage right when I got home and called my car insurance to file the claim.  I hope there are no problems and that I can get my car fixed soon.  

The damage:




Silly woman...it was your fault!

14 comments:

  1. Beck that is SO annoying. I have been through that process before and its so annoying when its the other person's fault and they try to get out of it! Glad you guys are ok and it wasn't to bad! I bet her insurance will cover it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an idiot!! Now you know what to do in the future, hopefully there won't be any more in the future though. Good thing your friend was there as a witness...she admitted already that it was her fault by saying the sun was in her eyes (well, um, don't back out then if you can't see).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm sorry! The nerve of some people! People are at their worst when they are behind the wheel - she was probably a nice Relief Society President or something. We'll cross our fingers that there aren't any more problems too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Lady!!!! I would have been so annoyed! Good for you for sticking up for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it’s great that, despite the accident, you came out relatively unscathed. The marks on your car are also going to be easy to remedy, though you’d have to shell out some money for that. Now, as for that other driver, if she only had a bit more tint on her windows, she wouldn’t have been affected by the glare, and she would have been able to stop in time to prevent the accident. So how did things turn out with your insurance claim?


    Nannie Leick

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a crazy lady!!! Glad you stuck to your guns and didn't let her get away with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I’m sorry to hear about what happened! It’s good that both of you got out of that without any injury. You did a smart thing in taking her contact number. That can help you coordinate with her easier. You also did well in taking pictures of the damage on your car. That can help make the claim proceeding easier for both parties.



    Javier Hoppes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though it was your first time to get into an accident, it is good that you managed to know what to do and get her contact information. And capturing some of the damage in a photo is a clever move, as it would help you with obtaining compensation. That reminded me, have you got your claims now? I think it would be in good use for getting the dent of your car fixed.


    Penelope Worrall

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good thing that you weren’t injured, and the damage wasn’t that bad, but an accident is an accident: She should be liable for what happened to your car. Obviously, it wasn't your fault because the damage was on your car. Anyway, have you claimed your rightful compensation?

    Tracy Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was what I was actually thinking of Nannie. Window tint could cause a road accident. I’m glad it was not serious. This shows that even if we are careful with our driving, we could still get involved in accidents. They are accidents, after all. Just keep vigilant every time. You might not have the power over other drivers’ actions, but you could help avoid the consequences that could be brought by it. :] - Mike Clark

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best thing about this situation is that you really fought for yourself, especially since you are pretty much aware that you are not at fault. It is also great that you asked for the other party’s personal information and contact number. It will be very useful in case of investigation about what happened.

    Ronna Erb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree to what Ronna said. Let me just add that in situations like this, I suggest that you hire the services of a personal injury lawyer. You may get info about them on the Internet, and they may help you to file for your claim due to damage and injuries caused by the offender.


    Cindie Guevara


    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa, that was really something, eh? How did it go, then? Anyway, I remember when my friend got into the same accident as you. He took pictures of the damaged car and the injuries he sustained. Luckily, there was a witness, so he asked for the name and number of that person. Eventually, all he did helped him even more to prove his insurance claim.

    - Barry Bates

    ReplyDelete