Monday, April 16, 2012

stake conference

I wanted to post about stake conference yesterday because I want to remember the frustrating/exhausting in the moment, yet funny now time we had.

John convinced me to go to Stake Conference yesterday.  He is the good example in our family...I was the one trying to come up with other "just as good" things we could do (a family drive, read a conference talk, etc.), instead of going.  But nonetheless, we went.  Church is hard enough with a 1 year old who isn't old enough for nursery yet, but stake conference was just miserable. (I'm not talking about the musical numbers, talks, testimonies...I'm sure those were great - even though I didn't actually get to listen to them).

Stake Conference was from 10-12...RIGHT during Brooklyn's first nap time.  We decided to sit in the back on the end because we both knew we'd have to take her out at some point.  5 minutes into the meeting John was up with Brooklyn.  A lady came up to me when he was gone and asked if the seat was being saved.  I said sorry, but yes it was taken.  Her reply was "thanks" and moved my bag and sat down.  Umm....ok.  I looked back at John with a puzzled look and asked the lady to let me out.  We found a row upstairs instead and 5 minutes after Brooklyn's snacks were gone...she was up with John again.  He eventually came back...I kept Brooklyn occupied for 2 minutes and then I was outside with her.  I finally just let her walk around temple square for 45 minutes to wear her out.  She walked around happily waving and saying hi to everyone (one lady even asked to take her picture because she was so friendly...weird).  Eventually I took her back in and thought she would be worn out enough to sit still...nope!  2 minutes after we sat down she is running towards the stairs (John can't go get her at this point because he has a bloody nose that won't stop and is going through all our wipes).  So I chase after her....she laughs when I catch her and then cries when we sit back down.  And then she's off again.  We REALLY must have been a sight to see!  When it was FINALLY over (it even went over the time) we were all exhausted.  Brooklyn fell instantly asleep when she got in the stroller...and John and I BOTH took naps yesterday.  

When we were walking to the car John asked me how are we going to do it with two?  I said I have no idea...but I get the newborn...you get the toddler :)

8 comments:

  1. I am totally laughing only because I've been there so many times....I'm SO SORRY! You wonder if it's really even worth it to go, but then I always think the Lord knows I'm trying my best. Good job for going and trying;) That age is so hard because they are so close to nursery but can't go yet. We started taking H at 16 months because I figured we could be in the hall chasing him or getting him used to nursery. Luckily the nursery leaders were great to let us take him early. GOOD LUCK! It will get better, promise. I love her:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds SO frustrating Beck. I am laughing at John's bloody nose and him going through all the wipes. Tom gets really bad bloody noses sometimes and at inconvenient times - I would have DEF stayed home lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good friend in the ward here. She had raised multiple kids and she had great advice for when there ate multiple kids. She and her husband had an agreement that she would wake up and change the baby diapers and nurse. He had to get up with the other kids. So if they wet the bed, were thirsty, sick, out bad dream he had to deal with it. She says it was perfect because babies all grow up and then he had all the night duties. They were trained to always call for dad at night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becky, that made me laugh... Just picturing all of that was quite the sight in my mind. :) You are such a good mother though, I have no doubt you'll tackle having two so quickly. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats sounds really tiring Becky. How did our parent's do it with so many!?!? You will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, it IS funny now...but I am all too familiar with that FRUSTRATION "in-the-moment" -- believe me! the only thing i can say about "how will we do it with 2?" is that you just DO. somehow, it works out. you learn and grow together as parents, and as a family as a whole. it is just one long learning experience. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Becky! This is why stake conference is not attended anymore by our family. It is just not worth it. Now you can tell John, remember that one stake conference? Yeah, we're skipping it. Do you like how I am encouraging you to skip? I spent one stake conference outside with Tate the entire time too. It is so annoying! Poor John with his bloody nose - what a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha!! Oh those will be good memories in a few years down the road ;) and as long as you've got two sets of hands you guys will def be to handle two so don't stress. Smart girl calling dibs on the newborn though. Hehe

    ReplyDelete