Tuesday, October 30, 2012

St. George/Mike's marathon

The first weekend in October, the kids and I drove to St. George to watch my brother Mike run the marathon.  I was a little worried how a seven hour drive alone with 2 little kids would go, but overall it went well.  I stopped once each way, to gas up, use the bathroom, feed Jake, and let Brooklyn out of her car seat.

We left Friday morning and arrived in St. George that afternoon.  Brooklyn was so excited to see Grandpa Marc and Grandma Betty, Aunt Sonya, and Uncle Mike.  

playing with Grandpa outside

That night Mike, Jake, and I went to Olive Garden for dinner.  Brooklyn stayed with Grandma Betty (which was such a nice treat for me to enjoy a meal with peace and quiet).  The food was good of course and fun to be with Mike.

The next morning I woke up at 4...to take Mike to the bus...where they then drove them up the canyon to start the marathon.  I was able to get a few more hours of sleep and then Brooklyn and I  headed to the race to cheer Uncle Mike on.  We weren't able to see him as early as I wanted (I think we saw him at mile 24), but we found a nice spot to wait for him to run by.  Brooklyn did really well and loved watching the runners run by.  I was cheering for them and pretty soon she started to too.  She'd yell...."GOOOOOOO" and "RUNNNNNNNNIN"...it was funny. 


I was watching closely for Mike the whole time and all of the sudden he was RIGHT there.  He seriously came so fast and I didn't have a chance to take pictures of him as he was running towards us.  So the only picture I got of him was when he was running away (he is in the middle of the picture in the blue shirt).  He did stop for a second though to say hi and tell us how much pain he was in :)

I packed all our stuff up as fast as I could, threw it in my car, and raced to the finish line.  I was able to get a few picture of Mike coming out of the runners shoot.  

Uncle Mike sharing his bread with Brooklyn

I'm so proud of this guy!  His time was around 3 hours 45 minutes....he did so good.  It was so fun to be there and support him.  

Funny story - I was in such a hurry to make it to the finish line after I saw Mike run by us at mile 24, that I forgot to shut my trunk after I got the stroller out.  When we were walking back to my car after the race..I saw this trunk door open and made the comment while laughing..."who leaves their trunk open?"  Oops!  That would be me.  Luckily nothing was stolen.

We came back to Marc and Betty's, Mike showered, and then we relaxed in the hot tub for a bit before Mike had to drive home.  

 We took naps that afternoon, watched conference, ate a yummy dinner with Grandma and Grandpa, Solomon, and Sonya, and played at the park.


playing Frisbee with a random boy


We drove home Sunday morning.  It was such a fun, quick trip...nice to get away and support Uncle Mike and nice to spend time with the Mortensen's.  


  1. That looks like a fun trip! Good ol' Mike, that is a great time. That's a hard marathon! I know where you probably saw him too...he was probably wanting to see you earlier too. Brooklyn is so funny, I love her biting into that bread, lol.

  2. Mike did awesome! Good for him. That is so nice of you to go and support him. Brooklyn looks so old Becky. Look at all her cute hair. She is adorable. Sounds like a nice weekend with family.

  3. K you are supermom! Seven hours in the car with two kids by yourself and no biggie?!? What the?! You are just too good! Brooklyn is the cutest ever. I love her pink outfit and that is hilarious about your car trunk. I can totally picture it, laughed out loud reading that :) and by the way, way to go mike!!i